Pancake Tuesday

Today the children participated in Pancake Tuesday (Shrove Tuesday). Pancake Day  is the last day before the period called Lent. It is traditional on this day to eat pancakes. Lent is a time of abstinence, of giving things up. So Shrove Tuesday is the last chance to indulge yourself, and to use up the foods that aren’t allowed in Lent. Pancakes are eaten on this day because they contain fat, butter and eggs which were forbidden during Lent.Shrove Tuesday is celebrated the day before Ash Wednesday and is therefore the final day before the commencement of Lent, a Christian festival leading up to Easter Sunday (Easter Day). Shrove Tuesday always falls 47 days before Easter Sunday, so the date varies from year to year and falls between 3 February and 9 March.

This morning the children were lucky enough to make pancake mixture and observe them being cooked by our fantastic parent helpers. Children got the choice between lemon and sugar, jam or butter! Mmmmm, before you knew it, they were gobbled down by the children and we couldn’t wipe the smiles off their faces!

Pancake Tuesday on PhotoPeach

What would you give up for 40 days?

20 thoughts on “Pancake Tuesday

• Hi Thomas,
      You are a comment superstar! Chips for forty days… Good luck! I think I will give up coca cola… It will be very tricky though!
      Mrs Hollands

1. I loved making the pancakes and really enjoyed eating them. My favorite was lemon and sugar and butter. Mum loved helping make them too.

2. Dear Mrs Holland’s,
    I will give up chocolate-chip cookies for 40 days.I liked pancake day because it was SCRUM-DIDDLY-DUMMOUS and our table made it all runny. what did you think of pancake day?
    love from Holly.
    P.S: my sister is writing this.

• Hi Holly,
      MMMMMM chocolate chip cookies would be hard to give up! I would love to hear how you go! I am glad you enjoyed your pancakes! I love pnacake day every year! My favourite thing to put on my pancakes is lemon and sugar! What about you?
      Mrs Hollands

3. Dear Mrs Holland’s,

I’m Holly’s sister(Alex). To be honest I have absolutely no clue what I would give up for 40 days so you grade 1’s are pretty cool. My grade made pancakes on WEDNESDAY and they were yum, so i hope yours were as good as ours!!!!!

From Holly’s sister (ALEX).

4. Hi Grade 1B and 1C,

Our class made pancakes too and we have also been thinking about how we will do things for others during Lent. Some of us have given up our DS games and some of us will be giving up our favourite foods.
    Keep up the great work!
    from Ms. Tieppo and 2TM

5. Oh Thomas
    Giving up chips, I don’t think I could do that. What sort of chips do you like best? I really like hot chips from the fish and chip shop or Salt and Vinegar chips. Pancake day was lots of fun, maybe I’ll give up cake for 40 days!

6. Dear Mrs Hollands,
    I looked at the class blog last night with my mum. I am excited about our swimming class tomorrow. Thank you for my certificate. Love, Olivia W.

• Hi Olivia,
      So great to hear from you! Did you like our class blog? It’s pretty special isn’t it? Swimming was so much fun today! I wish I could of gone on the inflatable! You are more than welcome. You deserved your certificate gorgeous!
      Mrs Hollands

7. hi Mrs Hollands,
    I would give up choclate mud cake,candy,buying stuff also underwear.I all most brok my neck today at gymnastics.It hurt.
    sarah.

• Hi Sarah,
      So lovely to hear from you! You are a supertstar giving up all these things- but underwear? That would be a bit uncomfortable! Did you enjoy the inflatable today? You need to look after your neck! You don’t want to do any more damage! Have a great weekend sweetie.
      Mrs Hollands

• Hi Jake,
      It’s nice to know that you would give up video games! Chocolate would be a tricky one! What is your favourite chocolate? I love Easter eggs especially Cadbury Creme Eggs! They are sooooo delicious! Your picture is very cute- I like your funny face too!
      Mrs Hollands

• Hi Campbell,
      Thanks for looking at our blog, we are glad you enjoyed it. Our children are very excited about being on holidays in a week. What plans do you have for your holidays?
      Miss Hunichen and Grade 1B and 1C