9 thoughts on “Marvelous Minibeasts

1. Hello Rooms 1B and 1C. We really enjoyed watching your mini beast video. There are some amazing bugs aren’t there? They can be so colourful. Our favourite mini beast was the leaf insect because we have 2 in our classroom. We have a male and a female. The female is really big but the male is much smaller. They have laid eggs. Do you know how to hatch leaf insect eggs? Today we got 2 green tree frogs as well. We like looking after creatures.
    From Room 4 at Craigburn

• Hi Room 4
      Thank you for taking the time to look at our blog. At our school we have to look at you tube videos at home so we are still working on having everyone look at it. Stick insects are very interesting and some of the children in our grade do have them at home as pets. What do baby stick insects look like?
      Grade 1B and 1C

2. Hello Mrs Hollands and Miss Hunichen
    I like the praymantis and the butterflies. I also like Rhino Beetles but I couldnt see any in the video clip.
    Bye from Clay

• Hi Clay,
      So lovely to hear from you on the blog! Butterflies are one of my favourite mini beasts. They are so lovely to look at but I wish more came out in winter! It is amazing to think that they smell through their feet? If you were a butterfly, what colour would you like to be?
      Mrs Hollands

• Hi Ms Preaudet
      We are looking forward to learning lots about mini beasts and we already have lots of questions. Maybe if we get stuck we could ask you some questions.
      What have you learnt about dinosaurs so far?
      Grade 1B and 1C

3. Hi Tara,
    I found this in case you haven’t had a chance to research the bug and beetle difference.

Jodie

What are the differences between bugs and beetles?

Bugs and beetles may sometimes look similar at first glance, but they belong to two quite different insect groups. Here are some features that can help distinguish between them.

Mouthparts
    Bugs: mouthparts modified into piercing stylet (i.e. needle-like).
    Beetles: chewing mouthparts.

Wings
    Bugs: wings (if present) are membranous or partially thickened.
    Beetles: forewings modified to form hard, leathery coverings called elytra, hindwings membranous and fold under elytra when not flying.

Diet
    Bugs: liquid diet: mostly plant-feeders (nectar/sap), some feeders on animal fluids.
    Beetles: wide range of plant and animal materials eaten.

Lifecycle
    Bugs: incomplete metamorphosis – juveniles resemble adults except smaller and lack wings.
    Beetles: complete metamorphosis – larvae with hardened head, chewing mouthparts and usually have legs.

Scientific classification
    Bugs: Order Hemiptera
    Beetles: Order Coleoptera

• Dear Jodie
      Wow, thanks for doing all that research for me. I meant to get on today and have a look but ran out of time. I will try and remind Emily to share this information with the class tomorrow.

4. Dear Mrs Hollands,
    I really liked looking at the minibeasts. I had lots of favourites. I liked the Jewelled Flower Mantis because I like all of the mantis insects. I liked the spiny weevil because it looked cool and the cobalt blue tarantula because I like tarantulas.
    from Jack B