Sammy Snake teaches us to be Water Savers

On Friday morning Sammy Snake and Anne came to visit the Grade Ones. They were from Western Water and they came to teach us about not wasting water. Some of the things we learnt were:

* to turn taps off and make sure they are not dripping

* to put bark on top of the soil in your garden becuase it helps absorb the water

* to put a brick in our toilet cistern as it saves three litres of water each flush

* that if your tap is dripping you should buy a washer from the hardware store, they only cost $1.50

* to use a trigger nozzle on our hoses outside

* to use a bucket and sponge to wash your car rather than the hose

* that you can take your old shower head to Western Water and they will give you a NEW water saving shower head for FREE. This will save about 30 litres per four minutes!!!!

* that when washing your clothes a liquid soap is better than a powder, make sure it has NO phosphates!

* that you can get special plugs from Western Water that fit ALL plug holes

* that roses like our soapy bath water but our vegies don’t

* that when we are brushing our teeth we should use a cup of water rather than having the tap running

Do you know of any other tips to help us save water?

8 thoughts on “Sammy Snake teaches us to be Water Savers

1. To Miss Hunichen,

How are you? I know another way of saving water. When in the shower, you should have a timer so you don’t stay in there for a long time. (Sometimes my sister stays in there for hours and hours and comes out looking like a drowned rat)
    Do you know of any other tips to save water?

Knock knock
    Who’s there?
    Water.
    Water who?
    Water you think you’re doing?

From Milly

• Dear Milly
      I’m good thank you, how are you? I hope you had a good weekend, did you play netball on Saturday? I really like the snazzy new netball tops that you have. When I played for possums we had to wear our school t shirts. I laughed alot when I read the part in your comment about your sister! I also thought your joke was very clever. I try to save water at home by only running the washing machine when it is very full, its a waste of water to turn it on for only a few things.

2. Hi Miss Hunichen, I learned a lot when Sammy the snake and Anne from Western Water came to visit. One of of the things that I learned was that when a tap is leaking and worn out, a bit can be replaced inside it. I also learned that bark can protect the soil from drying out. I had fun when we matched the lucky dips to the pictures out of the green bag. I also liked it when i put my hand under the blanket and I am glad I chose the bark.
    from Amelia

• Dear Amelia
      You must have been very busy on the weekend writing all of these excellent blog comments! Its very important to try and save water where we can. I make sure that when I’m doing the dishes I only ut a little bit if water in the sink and I wait until there are a few dishes to do. I wonder if you can think of any other good tips to save water?
      From Miss Hunichen

3. Dear Mrs Hollands,
    When Sammy the Snake came, I enjoyed everything that we learn’t. But my favourite part was when they got Sammy the Snake out. I would like to try putting the brick or a soda bottle filled with water in our two toilets to try and save water.
    Love from,
    Sophie

4. Hi Miss Hunichin,

How are you? I know a way of saving water. You put a brick in the top part of the toilet, and it saves 3 quarters of the water each time you flush the toilet.

I liked it when I matched myself during the activity.

From Cameron.

• Dear Cameron
      I’m good thanks and I hope you are enjoying the last few days of this term. You have been working really hard in class and I am so impressed with the progress you have made with your reading!
      I thought that it was really interesting to hear that you could put a brick in your toilet to save water!! Have you done this at your place? I made sure that I checked all of my taps for leaks.