100 Greatest Books for Kids

This morning we visited the Library Blog. We followed Mrs Irwin’s link to 100 Greatest Books For Kids.

It was very interesting to see which  books have been voted in to the Top 100 List.

If you are not sure of the titles make sure you click on the cover of each book as a window will pop up showing you what the cover looks like and telling you about the book.

Did you find many books familiar to you in the list?

Were there any of your favourites?

12 thoughts on “100 Greatest Books for Kids

1. Dear Miss Hunichen
    I had read 13 books out of the hundred I was surprised I thought I would have read lots. A lot of the books I had heard of but never read hope I get to
    From James

• Hi James
      I’m pleased to see that you have read 13 of the 100 Greatest books, however I’d be interested to hear some of the titles. I’m glad that you have heard of lots of the titles and I hope this site encourages you to try reading some of them. Do you have a favourite book or one that has really inspired you? When I was at school I really enjoyed reading ‘The Tomorrow Series’ by John Marsden.
      Happy reading, Miss Hunichen

2. Dear Miss Hunichen,
    When I visited the ‘100 books for Kids’ website I found it extremely interesting. Lots of books I had never heard of! I skimmed over the books again and discovered 2 other books I’ve read. In total I found 7 books I have previously read.

I was shocked that the book ‘The Emerald Atlas’ isn’t in the list. I believe it is a fantastic book filled with fantasy and adventures.
    From Alexandra.

• Dear Ali
      I’m surprised that you have only read 7 of the books as I know you are an avid reader. I know that the list includes lots of pictures books so I assume that this is why your number is so low! What were some of the books that you had read?
      Can you tell me a little bit about the book ‘The Emerald Atlas?’ Do you think I would like it?
      From Miss Hunichen

3. Dear Miss Hunichen,
    On the 100 best books 5 of them I have read those books were Anne of green gables, The very hungry caterpillar, The little engine that could, Are You There God It’s Me Margret and Matilda.
    I was surprised that they didn’t have any other Judy Blume books .
    You’re sincerely Indiah!

• Dear Indiah
      When I was looking at the website with 5/6C today we discovered that there was another Judy Blume book! It was called Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, if you haven’t read it I suggest that you do. I read it when I was younger and thought it was very funny. It is the first in a series of three of four books.
      Have you read any other Roald Dahl books?
      From Miss Hunichen

4. Hi Miss Hunichen,
    I have read four of the books. They are Matilda, Charlotte’s Web, Are you there God? It’s me Margret and Diary of a Wimpy Kid. I’ve always loved the book Matilda. It’s about a smart girl that goes to school and is the smartest kid in the class.
    Are you there God? It’s me Margret is a good book for girls about my age. I was surprised that there wasn’t any Go Girl books were in the top 100!!!!!!
    From Tia

• Hi Tia,
      I’ve read all of the books that you have read from the list except Diary of Wimpy Kid. I see that lots of children in our grade are currently reading or have already read this series. Would you recommend that I read this series and why?
      As I was chatting to Izzy in 5/6C she discovered another Judy Blume books. It’s the one I suggested you read: Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing. I really think you would enjoy it.
      Happy Reading, Miss Hunichen

5. Dear Miss Hunichen,
    ‘100 Greatest Books for Kids’ was a very interesting site. The layout drew you in to look at the long bookshelf and discover all different types of books. The colour coding system was very helpful because it showed you what age group the books are in. I also liked it when you clicked on the book it would show the cover and the author and a bit about it. I found six books from the list that I had read before. My two favourite books that are on the list are ‘Matilda’ and ‘Diary of a Wimpy kid’. I was a bit surprised when I saw ‘The Secret Garden’ on the list because I didn’t know lots of people have read it before or liked enough to be put on the list.
    Overall I think the website is very useful because it can help everyone choose different books in the future and find all different picture story books with lots of messages and morals
    From Jessica.

6. Dear Miss Hunichen,
    I have previously read seven of the books on the 100 Greatest Books for Kids website. I have read Matilda (which was also in my book timeline), The Little Engine that Could, The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Where the Wild Things Are, Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone, Diary of a Wimpy Kid and Green Eggs and Ham. I have also read the rest of the Harry Potter Series which is also on my book timeline. I was quite surprised that the rest of the Harry Potter Series wasn’t on there becaus they are also great books. I also think that some of the Enid Blyton books like The Enchanted Wood and The Rocking Chair weren’t there because they are really good story time books. Have you read any of the books on the 100 Greatest Books website,Miss Hunichen?

From Zoe

7. Hi Miss Hunichen
    I was amazed when I saw that there were only 3 books that I have read in the top 100 books recently. The books that I have read in the list are Diary of a wimpy kid, Matilda and Harry Potter. When I went through the list I had to go through it twice because I thought that there would be at least one of the far away tree series books but it deems that there wasn’t even ONE. They need to add some Enid Blyton books,
    Abbey

8. Dear Miss Hunichen,

‘100 Greatest books for kids’ is an interesting site. I have read 17 books out of all of them and my favourites are ‘The Bad beginning’ and ‘Where the mountain meets the moon.’ Is there any of your favourite books that were in the 100 books? By Jordana