Term 1 Holidays

Sadly the Term 1 holidays are coming to a close. Only a few more hours of freedom until we will all be getting ready to head back to school tomorrow. I trust that all of you have had an enjoyable holiday and I’m looking forward to hearing all of your stories tomorrow.

My holidays have been pretty busy, not much time to sit and relax at all!! I spent the first few days visiting a friend of mine who lives in Bairnsdale. Does anyone know how long this journey is? See if you can work out the time and distance travelled if I left from Sunbury. I went to uni with Kelly so I have known her for almost 10 years!! Each holidays I drive down to Bairnsdale to spend time with her and her 2 children, Gabi and Aidan. Gabi has just turned four and loves watching Peppa Pig and Aidan will be 2 in June. He loves Raa Raa the Noisy Lion. You can watch a clip below, don’t forget to check with parents 1st as it is from Youtube.

I spent the 2nd week of the school holidays in Port Douglas with Mrs McConville. We flew from Melbourne Airport to Cairns Airport and then drove to Port Douglas. The travel seemed to take forever. See if you can work out how long the flight was and then how far it is from Cairns airport to Port Douglas. We arrived at our hotel late Sunday afternoon where we unpacked our things before finding an information centre so we could book all of our tours.

On Monday we left the hotel early as we were heading out to do some snorkelling on The Great Barrier Reef. I wasn’t looking forward to the journey out to the reef as it was over an hour on a boat and I tend to get seasick. We sat towards the back of the boat and I took some tablets to stop me from getting sick. Unfortunately they didn’t help and I was sick the whole trip. I think Mrs McConville wanted to throw me overboard!! Watch the following video to get an idea of what our day was like. Don’t forget to check with mum and dad though as it is a clip from Youtube.

Tuesday saw us up early again as our tour guide was picking us up at 7am! Barney was an amazing tour guide with lots of knowledge on the Daintree Rainforest and Cape Tribulation. Unfortunately it rained ALL day and was very cloudy so we didn’t get to see all of the beautiful views that we were meant to. You can read about what our tour involved by clicking on the following link: http://backcountrybliss.com.au/daintree-adventure-day/ We also went Jungle surfing on this tour. I had been really looking forward to this part but was disappointed that it rained heavily the whole time, Mrs McConville and I were drenched by the end of it! You can read all about Jungle Surfing by clicking on the following link: http://www.junglesurfing.com.au/junglesurfing.html

After such a full on two days I was glad to be able to sleep in on Wednesday. We just spent time in Port Douglas looking around the shops. We were keen to fit in some time by the pool but unfortunately it was raining AGAIN!!

One of the things Mrs McConville was keen to do was take the train up to Kuranda and then come back on the skyrail. It meant another early start and a long bus trip to the Kuranda Train station. Luckily by the time we got on the train the sun had come out and we had beautiful views all the way up to Kuranda. We spent time looking at the markets as well as watching a vey interesting demonstration on how to make candy. You can watch the candy making process below, just make sure you check with mum and dad first.

Of course after lunch it started raining AGAIN. Luckily Mrs McConville and I had bought poncho’s at the train station that morning! We travelled back from Kuranda on the skyrail, unfortunately because of the weather all we could see was lots of white misty clouds. You can read about the Skyrail by clicking on the following link http://www.skyrail.com.au/

Friday was the day I was most looking forward to. It was the day I was going to leap off a 50 meter tower down to the water below… thats right, I was going Bungy Jumping!! After bungy jumping in Bali 2 years ago I have always wanted to do it again. You can watch the video of my bungy jump by looking in the 5/6E folder on students and you can click on the following link to look at the bungy website: http://www.ajhackett.com/cairns/

Just before I took the plunge!

We spent the afternoon looking around Cairns before heading back to Port Douglas to pack our bags ready to come home. I enjoyed our time in Port Douglas, I only wish we had seen more sunshine!!

12 thoughts on “Term 1 Holidays

1. Dear Miss Hunichen,
    Over the holidays I did a few things but not a lot. On Thursday I went to the movies to watch the “The Croods.” It was hilarious and a little bit sad. After we went to visit our aunt Dossy and every time we go to visit her she always gives us money. She gave as $10 each. YAY!!! Then we went to visit our closest friends Kate and Carl. They have 3 sons, Chris, Sam and Benjamin. We went to visit our dad and my older brother who lives with my dad. We went to my dad’s restaurant for lunch and my dad’s work is SO BIG. Your holiday looked awesome and I hope you had a good time. By Jordana

• Dear Jordana
      I’m interested to know why you thought the Croods was sad? It’s a movie that I would like to see but I think I might have to wait till it’s out on DVD.
      What do you think you will spend your $10 on? My nana used to give us gift vouchers when we were younger. My sister and I used to spend our gift vouchers on books. When I was a little bit older though I liked to save my money up so I could buy bigger things. Is there something that you think you’d save your money for?
      From Miss Hunichen

2. Hi Miss Hunichen,
    It looked like you had a fantastic trip to Cairns! On my holidays I went to Bali and Perth. We went to Bali for 8 nights and Perth for 4 nights. When I went to Bali we did a lot of playing in the pool and hanging out at the villa. We had our own private pool that was 1 metre away from our doorstep. Ketut and Illuh came each day to make our breakfast, make our bed and clean our villa!!! In Perth was stayed with our friends Freddy and Cecilia. They have two girls named Lilly and Iris. Lilly is 2 and a half and Iris is 6 months old. They had a pool but the pool was much cooler than the one in Bali. When we got back to Gisborne I went to play netball. I played Goal Attack and Wing Defence. In the first quarter I scored 3 goals for my team. At the end of the first quarter we were ahead with a score of 0 to 5. We lost our game by 1 point but had a fantastic game. I had a FANTASTIC holiday!!!
    From Tia

• Hi Tia
      I’m so jealous that you spent time in Bali and Perth for your holidays! Perth is somewhere I’d really like to visit. What did you do while you were there? Did you go to Cottesloe?
      It sounds like you were very spoilt while you were in Bali, a pool just a metre from your doorstep sounds like heaven! Did you go out to the Elephant parks at all? My favourite thing when I went to Bali was going white water rafting.
      From Miss Hunichen

3. Hello miss Hunichen,
    On Wednesday the second week I went to the zoo! I also got my hand jammed in the car (luckily at the top) Also my mum lost and itty bitty yellow thing and i found it in the huge zoo! On Saturday my brother went to a show and he and mum had a great time he got a poster signed by Jack (he is awesome). He also bought a sonic screwdriver (which is epic). On Sunday we went to see jack the giant slayer (awesomeness (not a real word I think)) we had2 large popcorn and 2 large coke (between 6 people). When it was done we went and bought drumsticks (the ice creams) and then went to see the Croods then we went home to meat balls rice and peas (I had bacon and eggs on toast). That is the end of my holidays
    From Alex

• Hi Alex,
      It’s great to raed a comment from you on the blog. It sounds like you did some fun things on the holidays. What was your favourite animal to visit at the zoo? I really like the butterfly house although it’s always so hot in there. Did you know that the largest butterfly in the world is The Queen Alexandra Birdwing. It lives in New Guinea and has a wingspan of up to 32cm! Can you find out what the smallest butterfly in the world is?

They seem to be making lots of movies that are similar to childrens fairy tales. Can you tell me a bit about Jack the Giant Slayer? How much like Jack and the Beanstalk was it? Which movie was your favourite and why?

From Miss Hunichen

4. Dear Miss Hunichen,
    Wow your holiday to Cairns sounded really exciting. When we went to Hamilton Island the flight took about three and a half hours so I’m guessing that it was about the same length and I have no idea how far away Port Douglas is, I only know it is in North Queensland.

For Easter we went away to Port Arlington and stayed in a rental house with our friends Deb and Simon with their kids, Yasmin, Tamiah and Jed. The day we arrived there we walked to the beach and Jack went right in and got drenched and he was fully clothed! On Saturday we went to another beach, except there was dried, black seaweed all over the sand and a dead jellyfish was beached. I stepped on something and ended up having about seven or eight splinters in the bottom of my foot.

We also went to the movies to see Oz The Great and Powerful and The Croods. I didn’t really enjoy Oz the Great and Powerful and The Croods was okay.

When you went snorkelling, was the water very deep? When I went with my mum and Zara the water over the actual reef was only a metre deep so it was hard to swim over it, it was better when we went snorkelling off Hamilton Island.
    Zoe

• Dear Zoe,
      You have done a great job on your blog comment and I’m really pleased to see that you have used paragraphs.

The flight to Cairms was about three and half hours so you were correct on that one. The drive from Cairns airport to Port Douglas was about an hour but it was along a really windy road (a bit like the Great Ocean road) and we had to stop at different hotels to drop people off. Cairns was lots of fun, it was hard to fit in all of the things I wanted to do though!! When we went snorkelling the water was quite deep but I think the snorkelling was better when I was in Bali. I was disappointed that I didn’t see a sea turtle though.

It sounds like you did lots of interesting things on the holidays. I’m interested to know why you didn’t like Oz The Great and Powerful? Have you read the book? I believe that on most occassions the book is always better than the movie. What do you think about this?

From Miss Hunichen

5. Dear Miss Hunichen,
    Your holiday to Cairns sure sounded great. Was it scary going on the bungy jump? Over the school holidays I did quite a lot. On Easter I had over 86 Easter eggs! That night my brother, sister and I stayed at our Nan and nunu’s for a sleepover because my mum and dad went to the Bruce brinsteen concert with our family friends from down the street. The next day my family and I went for a day trip up to Lake Eppalock it was pretty cool. On the last week of the school holidays my mum took my brother, sister and I to the movies to see The Croods it was sad and funny at the same time. A couple of days later my family and I started to renovate our cubby house. On the last Saturday of the school holidays I went to netball. I was captain. After netball I went to Tia’s house. At Tia’s house Tia to look and I tried to look identical by dressing the same way! That night my family and I went out for dinner with family friends. It was sad to end the holidays but I was excited to see my friends back at school.

• Dear Indiah
      Cairns certainly was lots of fun. I just wish it hadn’t rained so much! I think the best tip for bungy jumping is to try not to look down at the ground. Instead I tried to look out and focus on the horizon.
      I can’t believe you had 86 Easter eggs! Did you also eat lots of hot cross buns? I like hot cross buns best when they are toasted.
      What did you do while you were up at Lake Eppalock? I think I’ve been up there once to go jet skiing.It sounds like you did lots of exciting things throughout the holidays. What do you like most about playing netball? I used to play for the Possums when I was your age too. I really liked playing centre or goal shooter.
      When you’re writing a blog comment, don’t forget to write who the comment is from and try to write your comment in paragraphs.
      From Miss Hunichen

6. Dear Miss Hunichen, I saw the You tube clips and I really liked the Great Barrier Reef one. I showed my mum and we both enjoyed it. My favourite part was the buffet and Mum’s was the scuba diving. We are going to Port Douglas for term 2 holidays so mum and dad said that we can do the reef tour. Regards Sebi.

7. Dear miss hunichen,
    On the holidays i went to Anglesea and stayed at Big 4 and went for lots of bike rides. I also went to the light house.
    After that me and brother went to my dad’s house and went camping with my dad’s friends. I had a great holiday i hope you had great holiday too.
    From Bonnie.