Wonder

This is our class book for the term. August (Auggie) Pullman was born with a facial deformity that prevented him from going to a mainstream school—until now. He’s about to start 5th grade at Beecher Prep, and if you’ve ever been the new kid then you know how hard that can be. The thing is Auggie’s just an ordinary kid, with an extraordinary face. But can he convince his new classmates that he’s just like them, despite appearances?

The following link is a short trailer: Wonder by R. J. Palacio

If you click on this link you will be able to listen “How I came to Life”: R.J. Palacio reads a chapter from Wonder

After reading Part One, written from August’s perspective how would you describe August’s character. Try and move past what he looks like and include information about his personality. 

9 thoughts on “Wonder

1. Hi Miss Hunichen,
    After you reading us part one in ‘Wonder’ written from August’s perspective we have learnt a lot about August’s character. One of his traits that have really stood out to me was his embarrassment. He is always saying that when he goes out in public that he would like to wear a mask. Also when he went on the school tour he was afraid and embarrassed to ask questions. Another of his personality traits is his shyness. I can prove he is shy because he mumbles a fair bit. The last of August’s traits is his smartness because with his essays he uses past knowledge which he would have had to read lots of different books about that subject to get the knowledge that he knows now. It also shows that he is interested in learning.
    Tia

2. Mi Miss Hunichen,
    I think August is a shy and timid type of person, because on his first day of school his homeroom class can hardly hear what he is saying and he is told to speak up. I think August is a timid person because if I was August I would be very nervous and scared that people would tease me, talk behind my back and laugh at me.
    from Indiah

3. Dear Miss Hunichen, I think that Augusts personality has change a lot during the first part of the book. Some of his personality’s at the start of the book were annoyed and shy as of the way he looked and the way people looked at him on the street. Although when he started school he may of still got the looks but he was accepted as a normal person at the school and that made him glad and happy. I think that as a character in a book I think that the author has done a good job making Augusts feelings and the things that happen in the book sound very true as that probably would happen in real life. I would describe August character as sad but also happy at the same time. In the story August is an interesting character because he is always finding out what people are saying about him but instead of going and telling someone he tries to stick up for himself and make it look like it doesn’t affect him as a person. I am really enjoying this book Abbey

4. Dear Miss Hunichen,
    I think August has always been a very strong character because of all the things he’s been through and I’m not just talking about physically but mentally. He knows why he gets stared at he can see people whisper about him. Even in this new situation at school he has adapted to everything. The toughest parts of his life aren’t the surgeries they are trying to be accepted by others and to be strong.
    August is also positive because throughout the story he finds out that he is going to school and after some convincing he goes for a tour. During the tour one of the kids Julian was mean to him though he still kept positive and started at the end of Summer. He still stayed positive at school and made a friend called Summer.
    From Jessica.

5. August believes he’s a normal kid and he is, he does everything everyone else does. He is able to joke about himself, he is caring, kind and funny.

Macklan

6. To Miss Hunichen
    August is shy when he meets new people because he is scared of what they would judge him to be. This is probably the reason he grew his hair. Even though he hates it when he is teased continuously by other kids he is able to laugh at himself. August doesn’t like telling his parents about how everyone teases him at school. When he hangs out with his friends (Christopher, Summer etc) he has a lot of fun, is creative and his face doesn’t matter. I don’t think August realizes how much time his parents spend with him compared to Via his older sister who has been pretty much independent since the age of continuously by other kids he is able to laugh at himself. August doesn’t like telling his parents about how everyone teases him at school. When he hangs out with his friends (Christopher, Summer, etc.) he has a lot of fun, is creative and his face doesn’t matter. I don’t think August realizes how much time his parents spend with him compared to Via his older sister who has been pretty much independent since the age of 6.

7. August is a very shy character before you meet him, but when you meet him he is very fun to be around. Auggie is used to being stared out and dosn’t mind anymore. He looks at hisself as a normal kid which he is exept for the cleft palate he has and there is something wrong with his ears which makes him half deff, theres a boy in his class called Jullian and thinks Auggies face has been burnt, August has had 27 surgeries to fix his cleft palate and his face is still mucked up.

8. Hi Miss Hunichen,
    after you reading us part one of wonder from August perspective iv learnt a lot. sometimes you don’t think about what people think you just believe in your self hat you can do. Also its good for August if he sticks up for his self when his sister isn’t around him but at least he has friends. If I was in his shoes I would not like to be me looking like a monster and were ever I go sometimes put on a space helmet so people stop staring at me.

From Kye

9. Dear Miss Hunichen,
    I believe that August has gone through a lot. Being bullied and judged everywhere he goes must be horrible. Yet, I think it’s great that he manages to ignore the stares and curious glances thrown his way. He does seem to understand, though, that most can’t help staring, and that if he were in their position, he would most likely do the same. However, he does seem timid and shy, as he mumbles nervously, and he also acts like he is a bit self-conscious of himself, yet he still manages to laugh at himself. During a majority of his life, he has had Via and his parents by his side, yet attending Beecher Prep exposes him to the cruelness and judgement that many face at school. So far, the book has been eventful, and described in interesting detail.
    Alexandra.