Community Evening

Last night we had an excellent turnout for our first Community Evening. This event was held as a culmination of our Positive Start Program.

Throughout the first seven days at school we have covered lots of things that we hope help your children settle back into school routines.

The school values have been an important part of this program and we hope that the children now have a better understanding of each of these values. Hopefully last night they showed you the anchor charts that we have worked on that show the behaviours we will demonstrate for each value.

Your children have all set SMART learning goals and are already working hard to achieve these goals. They have begun working on a poster that displays their strengths and today they started learning about different learning styles (you can read more about this in the posts below).

We have discussed Habits of Mind, You Can Do It and Smart Learning Behaviours (your child has all three of these glued in the back of their diary). I have been amazed at the Smart learning behaviours that the children are already showing and look forward to watching them develop throughout the year.

It was great to see so many parents attend and to see the children so excited to show you their new working space. I hope you all had a wonderful evening and were able to see how hard the children have been working in their first seven days at school!

Parents: It would be great if you could leave a comment detailing your thoughts of the evening.

8 thoughts on “Community Evening

1. Hi Miss Hunichen
    Just wanted to say that I thoroughly enjoyed last nights community evening event and was very pleased with the way Eliza showed me through her first weeks hard work. The classroom was light, bright and colourful and felt like a great learning environment. Eliza was particular in pointing out the school values and I hope she continues to learn from these along the way.
    Regards
    Julie

• Hi Julie
      Thank you for your positive comment in regards to the community night. It was a fabulous evening and I really enjoyed watching the children show their parents through the classroom. I’m glad that you felt that it was a worthwhile experience. It will be interesting to see whether you think the Positive Start program has made a difference to your children’s first 7 days back at school.
      Thanks for your support
      Tara Hunichen

2. Hi Tara
    I thought the community night was great. Ashton was very excited to show the family around his classroom and all the work he had contributed to the walls! It looks like a great environment for the kids to learn in, very friendly.
    From Hamish (Ashton’s dad)
    Hi Tara
    When I finally got there after finishing work 😉 I absolutely loved seeing Ashton’s room and he was very excited to show me his work and favourite things on the wall. I love his classroom (very neat and tidy LOL) and we are very excited for the year ahead.
    From Nadene (Ashton’s mum) Ashton told me I had to put that 😉
    🙂

• Hi Nadene and Hamish
      Thank you for taking the time to comment on the blog, Ashton had just finished telling me that you were going to do it at work today when the comment came through 🙂 It was so fantastic for Ashton to have so many people interested in seeing his new learning environment. I’m glad that you were able to make it after work and that there was still time for him to give you a quick tour.
      Looking forward to meeting with you on Wednesday evening.
      Tara

3. Hi Miss Hunichen
    Gareth and I thoroughly enjoyed the Community evening last Thursday. Bec was very confident showing us all her learning so far and she has clearly taken it all in! She’s very excited about being in Grade 5 and the evening gave us a great opportunity to see that she has made a great start!
    Ros

• Hi Ros,
      Thank you for your lovely comment. It was great to see you and Gareth at the Community Evening last week. I’m glad that Bec has enjoyed her start to Grade 5 and that she was excited to show you around her new learning space.
      Tara

4. Hi Miss Hunichen,
    I had a great time last week in the classroom with Samuel! He is so pleased to have you again this year and it was wonderful to see him take such pride in his work on the netbook and his displayed work around the room. He took the time to explain to his Gran and I the school values and the display on “what makes him happy”.
    Thanks,
    Danielle

• Hi Danielle
      Thank you for taking the time to comment on the blog and for attending the Community Evening last Thursday night. It’s an absolute pleasure to have Sam again this year and as I said to you on Thursday I am astounded at his excellent work ethic and the time and thought that he puts into the presentation of his work. It sounds like Sam has really taken the Positive Start Program in and did a great job to explain the School Values to you and his Gran. I’m very proud of his efforts so far.
      Tara