Being a citizen of the Cyber World

Today in class we will be discussing the term ‘digital footprint’. But what does the term ‘digital footprint’ mean??

Have a look at the video below, taking notes on the images they use and think about how each of the images conveys privacy.

The image below is a link to the ABC’s “BTN” (“Behind The News”) website.  “BTN” is a fantastic news show for students that features great segments about current events and issues that affect our society.

Digital Footprint 24052011, Behind the News - Windows Internet Explorer_2014-02-13_20-39-08

This news segment is about how we each have a digital footprint. At the end of the segment we are told that whilst we can’t help but contribute to our digital footprint we can help to keep it smaller.

Password Power 29112011, Behind the News - Windows Internet Explorer_2014-02-13_21-04-48

The video above gives some interesting information and helpful advice in regards to setting passwords.

Here are some useful websites in regards to digital footprints:

http://www.kidsmart.org.uk/digitalfootprints/

http://www.cybersmart.gov.au/Kids/Get%20the%20facts/Digital%20footprint.aspx

Can you find any other useful websites in regards to managing your digital footprint?

Have a think about the following statement and respond thoughtfully in a detailed blog comment.

We are all citizens of the cyber world.

In your comment, include:

• Your definition of a digital footprint
  • 2 facts from the video segment
  • What thoughts, ideas, wonderings you have, for example, do you think a digital footprint is a good thing to have?
  • Your ways to keep your digital footprint safe and healthy

Remember, what you post online goes out there forever! Make sure your comment is 10/10 before you hit publish!

30 thoughts on “Being a citizen of the Cyber World

1. Dear miss hunichen or anyone who reads it,
    I thought the term digital footprint was a comment on a certain website or chat app that people can trace, but when I watched the clips I learnt that I was sort of right since people can still track the things that you do on the computer or any device.
    From Ethan!! 🙂

• Hi Ethan
      Great effort with the start of your comment. You need to go back and read the criteria for this comment though as you haven’t answered all of the questions that I asked.
      Looking forward to reading the rest of your response soon.

2. Dear Miss Hunichen and other readers,
    I think the term digital footprint means on the internet, if you give a little bit of your personal information, people could get more personal information.
    The videos showed me that when something is on the internet, it says on the internet forever. It also showed me people can find out where you are or what your doing very easily.
    I think a digital footprint is something we could never get rid of, but we need to know what to do with it. I think its great that we are learning what to do for now or the future. I now know what to do, and how to be safe on the internet. An idea for a digital footprint to stay safe, I think we need to show an adult before you change anything or add anything on the internet.
    For my digital footprint to stay safe and healthy, I will always triple check before i put something on the internet and keep my personal information to myself at all times.
    From Bec

• Dear Bec
      You have done a great job with your blog comment, making sure that you have covered all of the questions that I asked. I think you are spot on with your definition of the term digital footprint. The first video that we watched used some very powerful images, I hope you found it worthwhile. It would be great if you could share these videos with your parents and ask them for any other tips about keeping your digital footprint safe.

3. Hi Miss Hunichen and other readers,
    My definition of a digital footprint is:
    You are leaving clues to who you are . Just like when you leave a footprints in the sand they must lead somewhere and this time it leads to you and your personal information.

After doing some research I have discovered that I am correct. I have also discovered that you need a safe password. Something that you can remember but something that know one else can guess. And that if you share personal information it spreads and changes. And what you post online can’t be taken off and lot’s of people around the world can see it. Especially people you don’t know.

I have a wondering about the digital footprint. Can we ever get rid of it. Is it something we can get rid of. I would like to keep my digital footprint safe and healthy. Even though i’m not logged into very much social media at all. I think that a digital footprint can be really bad and lead to disasters if you don’t use it correctly.

Thanks Miss Hunichen from
    Kim.

4. Hello Miss Hunichen and anyone reading!
    I think the term digital footprint means that if you tell someone your personal details over the internet, some people can track you down!
    After watching the videos and reading through some websites, I found I was correct! But I still didn’t know that you leave a trail every time you go on the internet, or that you couldn’t delete anything once its on. I don’t think leaving digital footprints are good ideas, but I still don’t get why anyone would want to track you down anyway. I think its great that we’re learning about it, because now we know how to deal with it!
    I do not think that I have a digital footprint because I use my mums phone if I wanted to talk to my friends, so that she can look at what I am sending.
    From Ruby 🙂

5. Dear Miss Hunichen and other readers,
    I think the term digital footprint is a footprint on the computer or web site or blog. After looking at the videos I saw that I was really wrong. I learnt that everything stays once you search it in and that when you log into something people that causes a mark. I don’t think that a digital footprint is a good thing because other people see it. I think away of keeping a healthy digital footprint is having a made up word username and keep your password to yourself. If you ever go on to a website even though you have an email account you should still check with your parents.

6. Dear Miss Hunichen and other readers,
    Today how we learnt about the digital footprint was very interesting. I never knew that people could hack and get into your personal information. I think that a digital footprint is when you are on a social media network and you post something, that picture can be copied and changed by someone you don’t know.

I leant that if you put something on the internet it would be permanent and anyone can copy whatever you have put on the internet. The other thing I learnt was people can pass lies to one another just like Chinese whispers on the internet.

My ways of keeping my digital footprint safe is changing my password or checking for personal information before I post it online.
    From Ruby

7. Dear Miss H

I think the term digital footprint means that we can’t put any of our name or age etc on the internet.
    digital means like technology e.g. net-book, iPod etc.
    and footprint means like if you step on something soft you will leave a footprint behind and if you go on the internet you can type in your name and age including your last name and people can find out more about you.
    when i watch the first video I wrote down that what you do on a computer can be copied and on the other one i got some information about that if you type you name ( last name) someone will get on to you and keep following you.
    I have been wondering about how our digital footprint can get to people and if you can get rid of one.
    i can keep my digital footprint safe bye asking a parent before posting something and double check.

8. Dear Miss Hunichen
    I think the term digital footprint means:
    1.to be cyber safe
    2.could be mean people out there on the internet
    3.A trail of something you own on the computer

After watching the videos today I learnt that you have to be very careful with the things that you do or post on the internet.

Sam O

9. Dear Miss Hunichen,
    I think the term digital footprint means, if you do something online you can’t take it back even if you want to and everyone can change it and look at it. Today i learnt that there are ways to make your digital footprint smaller and if your not care full bigger. Two facts- you can’t delete what you put on you cant take it off but other people can change it. When you go online you don’t get any privacy.

To make my digital footprint better I will show my parent before i post things on the blog or on any other websites. You should always should use a password that anyone else cant get, but if you use a most likely password like qwerty,12345,superman, dinosaur and many others.

I learnt that even if you search something up it goes in your digital footprint.
    From Talon

10. Dear Ms Hunichen,
    I think the term digital footprint means that a message on a website will continue to pass on and on to other people.

From the videos I learnt that when pass information on to other people it continues to pass on to random people and that I know how to not get a digital footprint.

Can to get rid of a digital footprint and if you can how? A digital footprint is not good to have because people now were you are to track you down.

I have also learnt that a password needs to be hard so now one can get in. Don’t give away personal info or username and password.
    From Jack Ryan

11. dear miss Hunichen
    I thought that a digital footprint was blog comment that can be read by any one around the world but, I found out that it means a digital history of the stuff you on the computer, I.D, cards etc.
    in the password video that to use different password for profiles like Facebook,kik etc.
    I also know that when you publish some thing make sure you don’t put information about yourself
    i wonder if we can see our digital footprints. so i can keep my digital foot print healthy is to make sure all my information is save.
    Victoria:) :0

12. Dear Miss Hunichen
    I think that Term ‘DIGITAL FOOT PRINT’ means that when you go and type something up on Google like a website and you log in/ Sign up, and that will lead with signing up you could get instructions that you need to do:
    Password:
    RE Password:
    Email:
    Username:
    I have also learned that when you don’t know that you have got spam and others when you don’t even know that it is spam. And today I sniping tooled spam that came up on the blog this morning and for prove I have it on my Computers Desktop!
    And not all the time but it can also say to put in your county, town, language.
    For me to stay safe on the internet I will double check that I have shown any of my information about myself.
    From Sam!

13. Dear Miss Hunichen
    I think the digital footprint videos are really fantastic and help us how to be save, aware and careful about your digital foot prints.
    You can never get privacy on the internet and hackers can steal lots of your info.
    If you are on the internet you should not put personal information because even if you put a little bit of info about your self they then can get more and steal things and money from you. No mater where you go you always leave a digital footprint but you can be a where and act save about it.
    I did not know that what ever you put on the internet you can’t delete and that people can track you where ever you are

So if you are online don’t put personal details or give anything of your self away or it could lead to disaster.
    Now I know how to act save on the internet

from Ashton 🙂

14. Dear Miss Hunichen
    I think it is a really good idea to have a digital footprint. I think it will show us what happens on the internet and how bad it can get. When looking at the videos it made me think to just be a lot careful on the internet because I love to work on computers and search things that interest me.
    My 2 facts from the video is:
    1. When you log onto a website or online games and social media everyone can see what you are doing.
    2. That what you put on the internet stays there and never goes away.

My wondering is:
    1. Why is it called a digital footprint and how did they come up with the idea digital footprint?
    2. How does this keep us safe?
    3. Can we ever get rid of things that we have put on the internet or not?
    I am going to change some of my passwords because are very easy.
    I know not to put my birth date or any of my personal information. I so learnt to be really careful of what I put on the blog or any social media
    From Eliza

15. Dear Miss Hunichen and other readers,
    I think the term ‘digital footprint’ means that there is a trace for other people to find information about you through a computer. Almost as if leaving a footprint in the sand and someone can follow it to track you down. It’s just on a computer.
    From the videos I learnt that rumors can easily spread and chance as they go. Another thing that I have learnt from the clips is that people are guessing passwords pretty well and the best passwords are ones with symbols and numbers and things that are hard to guess. From the other video I learnt that credit cards and cards to get into car parks and places can also send information to people you don’t know or don’t trust.
    In some way sit can be good to have a digital footprint but majority of the time it’s not the best. To keep my digital footprint healthy I am going to triple check my work before I post anything (like I did with this). Also sometimes I could ask a trusting friend to check as well.
    I think I have learnt quite a lot from this session and will remember to stay safe online or anywhere.
    From Chloe:)

16. Dear Miss Hunichen and any readers

I think that the term digital footprint means, if you type something up on the internet it makes a footprint so people now were you have been on the internet.
    if you are anywhere people (police) can still see you and it is very hard to get privacy, and secondly I learned that once you put something silly of you on the internet you can’t get it off.
    I think a digital footprint is good to have but you just have to use it the right way it can keep you safe on the internet.
    I am going to try keeping my digital footprint very safe all year.

From Blake

17. Dear Miss H

Digital means like technology e.g. net-book, iPod etc.

A footprint means like if you step on something soft you will leave a footprint behind and if you go on the internet you can type in your name and age including your last name and people can find out more about you.

When I watch the first video I wrote down that what you do on a computer can be copied and on the other one i got some information about that if you type you name ( last name) someone will get on to you and keep following you.

I can keep my digital footprint safe bye asking a parent before posting something and double check.
    From Ben

• Dear Ben
      You seem to have a fairly good understanding of the term digital footprint. Do you think your current digital footprint would be large or small? Have you ever thought to Google yourself? I think the first thing that comes up when I search my name is the class blog.
      I’m glad that you wrote some notes while you were watching both of the videos, it sounds like you learnt some very valuable information.
      Your wondering is a good one and the same one that a few of the other children have had. Maybe you could get together and try and work out if you can actually get rid of your digital footprint. I don’t think that you can but maybe you can prove me wrong.
      Looking forward to what you can find out.

18. Dear Miss Hunichen
    After listening to the post’s I discovered that I got my prediction right because the post said that a digital footprint is where someone you don’t know hunts you down to get your personal information.

After Watching the videos I learnt that giving away a small piece of information can lead to disasters because one piece of info they can get every thing else. The second thing I learnt was that once you type something on the internet its there for ever.

I wonder why people even think about hacking into other peoples accounts, emails and other accounts. I will keep my accounts safe by making strong passwords

From Jarred

• Hi Jarred
      I’m glad that your prediction about the term digital footprint was correct. There is a little bit more to it though. You have learnt some good information from watching the videos though. I wonder the same as you but I guess the answer boils down to the fact that there are some not nice people out there and that’s why it’s so important that we be very careful with what we do or say on the internet and on social media sites. Using strong passwords are a great way to keep your information safe, as long as you remember not to share your passwords with people.

19. Dear Miss Hunichen and other readers,
    I think the term digital footprint means leaving a comment on the internet or a blog that leads to your personal information . I also think the term footprint means walking on anything soft and leaving your trail until someone walks over it again.
    My 2 facts from the videos are:
    -if you log into a website everyone can see,take and change it and tell someone else the wrong thing about you.
    -that social media can see everything you post or tweet and it will never delete of the internet.
    My wondering is how do we get rid of our digital footprint and how can we help people who don’t know what a digital footprint is
    The ways I am going to keep the digital footprint safe and healthy are change my passwords on my social media apps and be more careful with my posts.

• Hi Gemma
      I like your analogy of the term digital footprint. It’s not just about leaving comments on the blog though. It also has to do with social media sites like Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and Snap Chat. We need to be very careful with what we post, especially when it comes to photos. A good rule of thumb is if you wouldn’t want your mum or grandma to see the photo then it’s probably not a good idea to post it.
      I’m interested in finding the answer to your wondering, maybe it’s something you could research. I would tend to say that it’s not something you can actually get rid of, we just have to be aware of how to manage it. I think we can help people by educating them which is why we spoke about it in class. Maybe you could educate your friends and family who know nothing about it.
      I think that your ideas on how to manage it are a great place to start. Looking forward to hearing more about what you think.

20. dear miss Hunichen To day I lont about a digital footprint it is a bard thing because people that we don’t no wood pus it on to a lot of people and spared
    don’t wespor

• Hi James
      You need to make sure that you use capital letters in the correct places in your blog comment. You also need to make sure that your comments are read by an adult so that spelling errors can be fixed. Try to redo the comment above with correct spelling and punctuation.

21. Dear Miss Hunichen
    I think the word digital foot print means that you leave a mark on the computer or any other divises.
    The video shows that people can watch or see any thing you are doing, also learnt that you can make your foot print smaller.
    I don’t think a footprint is a good thing because people an track you down even with the smallest piece of info.
    To keep my foot print safe and healthy I will always show mum or dad before I post any thing.

from Logan!

• Hi Logan
      You are correct in your prediction about the word digital footprint. What are some of the ways that you can make your digital footprint smaller? Unless we steer clear of the internet completely most people will always have some sort of digital footprint. We just need to be careful with the details that we do put on the internet. I think showing your mum and dad things that you are posting on the internet is a good idea.

22. I just watched the BTN cyber bullying clip with Ashton and I thought it was fantastic, every kid and adult should watch it.
    Love Ruby Rose 😉 she is a great ambassador for human rights 🙂

Cheers Nadene

• Hi Nadene
      I’m glad you found the time to watch the BTN clip. They have some fantastic segments about lots of different topics. We will be using it quite a but this year. It’s great to see that Ashton is sharing what’s happening in the classroom with you.
      Tara