Afghanistan

Our class novel for this term is Boy Overboard by Morris Gleitzman. This story is set in Afghanistan. So what do we currently know about Afghanistan from the book:

– The country has lots of landmines, both active and inactive

– There is an extremely strict government with many absurd laws in place, some of these are as follows:

• Children are not allowed to play soccer
  • Girls are forbidden from having an education
  • Females are not allowed outside unless they are accompanied by a male relative
  • Cassette tapes are confiscated and thrown up into the light poles as music is banned
  • Fizzy drink is also banned

You have been asked to find out a little bit more about the Afghanistan Government and what has caused these strict laws.

Today in class we will be doing some further research. We will be completing some reading and watching the following clips from Behind the News. The first clip is from April 2012 and gives a clear picture of what caused the War in Afghanistan. Here is the link so that you can read the transcript: http://www.abc.net.au/btn/story/s3483683.htm

The second clip talks about what life is like in Afghanistan. Even though the clip is from June 2010 the information it contains is still relevant to the discussion we will be having.

afghanistan

Lastly the following website contains some useful information: http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/15218666

What have you learnt about Afghanistan?

How are these videos related to our class novel?

4 thoughts on “Afghanistan

1. Dear Miss Hunichen.
    Hi mum said that when we went to Europe and the UK we has to Singapore for 5 hours and then we went to Dubai we had a 20 hour or over drive to Afghanistan and would have to go though Iran to get there and mum told me when i got home from school!?
    From Sam Porter 🙂

• Hi Sam
      Great to see you commenting on the blog, however you need to make sure that you read over your comment carefully before posting it as your comment doesn’t really make sense. I think this is because you are missing punctuation. Please resubmit this comment as I believe you have some interesting facts to share!

2. Dear Miss Hunichen.
    Sorry that my last post did not make sense. What I ment to say was we flew over Afghanistan when we left Dubai for the UK. So you could say I have been to the Middle-East.
    From Sam Porter

• Hi Sam
      Well done for fixing up your blog comment. It’s very important to reread comments we write before we post them. Do you think you would actually really like to visit Afghanistan? Why or why not?