Understanding Time Zones….

On Friday we began investigating time zones across the world. Miss Hunichen posed an interesting question, she wanted to know:

‘In five minutes will it be 12 noon in ALL countries across the world?’

We took a vote and funnily all of us decided that no it wouldn’t be. Miss Hunichen thought that might be the end of the investigation because we already gave her the answer. However, we were very keen to find out why the above statement isn’t true. Why are there different times around the world?

So we all set off to start researching. Miss Hunichen came around and asked us about about search terms and what we thought in response to her question. She asked why a lot and made us think deeper about our answers. After about fifteen minutes of research time we got together with someone from a different table and spoke to them about what we had found out. We had discovered lots of things, take a look below!

These new discoveries left us asking the question you can see above in red, ‘Who decides what time it is and where?’ and ‘What is a time zone?’ We spent a little bit of time researching this and found the following website useful: http://www.timeanddate.com/

We still have lots of wonderings though! You can view them below on our Padlet wall. It might be easier to visit the actual wall by clicking on the following link: http://padlet.com/wall/mszoz16chu

It’s quite a complicated subject to understand.
What are they?  When were they introduced? Why are they necessary? How are they decided?

Viewing the videos below may help you to understand it all a little bit better.

What did you learn from these two videos and the research you completed?

Can you answer any of our wonderings?

5 thoughts on “Understanding Time Zones….

• Hi Eliza
      I’m glad you enjoyed seeing all of our questions on the Wonder Wall. I used a special website called Padlet. You can access it by clicking on the following link: http://padlet.com/
      It is free to access, you just need an email so that you can sign up. How do you think Padlet could be useful to you?
      Don’t forget to watch the videos on Time Zones and take some notes on what you learnt.

1. Hi Miss Hunichen
    I really liked the videos on how time zones work. It helped me a lot in the time zones sheet where working on. It is really interesting how time zones work and that Earth is 360 degrees wide. A also like the question thing and I know some of those questions so I was wondering if I could answer some of them.
    From Ashton 😉

• Hi Ashton
      I’m glad that you enjoyed the videos on time zones. I learnt quite a lot when I was watching these videos and found them very interesting. I knew that there were different times around the world and that they are split into time zones but I had no idea that there were 24 of them. When you think about how many hours there are in a day though I guess that makes sense. Does that mean that when we are at 12 noon there are countries around the world that are experiencing all of the other o’clock times? I also thought it was interesting to learn that each time zone is 15 degrees wide. There is certainly a lot more maths involved with all of this than I had initially thought.
      It’s great to hear that you may have some answers to some of the questions that were posed by your classmates. If you think you can answer them I would love to hear what you think.

2. Dear anyone who reads it,
    I learnt that there are 24 different time zones, each time zone has a maridian, time zones each take up 15 degrees of the world and that time zones were created by sir sandford flemming.
    I thought that the videos wrere helpful because now I understand what a time zone is.
    From Ethan 🙂