Afghan Refugees

Wile Jamal and Bibi have been lucky enough to leave the refugee camp they were living in for a short time there are unfortunately other refugees who aren’t as lucky. Earlier in the week we looked at a slideshow of images that helped us to describe the conditions in Afghanistan and to think about what it would be like to be a refugee.

Unfortunately we didn’t get through the entire slideshow but you can view the rest of it yourself by opening the Powerpoint below:

Afghan Refugees Slideshow

Even though the PDF is more a teacher lesson plan I have also attached it as it will help you to understand what each of the slides is about.

Afghan Refugees

As you were looking at the slideshow you were asked to make some connections, whether they be Text to Text (T2T), Text to self (T2S) or Text to World (T2W). Consider these connections as you view the rest of the slideshow. Are you able to make any new connections? The document below gives you some examples of connections that we might make:

Text Connections

I would love to hear about some of the connections that you made while viewing the Powerpoint Presentation. Please explain them in a detailed comment.

Are there things that you would still like to find out? Explain.

12 thoughts on “Afghan Refugees

1. Hi Miss Hunichen (And other readers)

I’ve got a couple connections but i think i need to lay back on using the Text to Text connection. But these are my connections:
    1. Text to Self: When mum and i went to a sale it was very crowded.
    2. Text to Text: Reading the War On Landmines sheet it showed a map of Afghanistan.
    3.Text to Text: When i watched the video it showed tents like that in the Refugee Camp.
    4. Text to World: Text to World: On the news it talked about Afghanistan and the Taliban and info on Afghanistan.
    5. Text to Text: When Jamal and Bibi’s house got blown up in Boy Overboard.
    6. Text to Text: When i watched the BTN clip we we wen’t inside the house in the Refugee camp.
    7. Text to Self: This reminds me of when my family went camping with no running water and lot’s of dirt.
    8. Text to Text: This info reminds me of Boy Overboard because Jamal and Bibi had to pack only what they can carry.
    9. Text to Self:When mum and i went camping at a caravan park and it was really packed!
    10. Text to Text: This picture look’s like Bibi in Boy Overboard.
    11: Text to self: Like where my mum used to work and now works because everyone is running around and it’s always busy.

I would like to know why the United Nations are stealing the money that are supposed to be going to the poor people in the Refugee Camps? Why are you taking things that can save there lives? WHY?

Thanks From
    Kim

• Dear Kim
      Well done for leaving a comment that details some of the connections you made from viewing the slideshow on Afghanistan. Rather than giving the slide numbers have a look at the way Ruby set up her comment, it just means whoever is reading your comment doesn’t need to flick through the slideshow. You have however made some great connections and have also made sure that you have a couple of each type of connection. I do think that some of your connections could be explained in a little more detail. Again see Ruby’s comment as an example of this. Thinking about connections helps us to be a better reader as it encourages us to think below the surface.
      How are you going to go about finding the answers to your questions? They certainly make you wonder don’t they!

2. Hi Miss Hunichen,
    I found some great connections from looking at the slideshow. I would like to share the connections I found. They are:
    Text to Self: This reminds me of my cousins dam that isn’t clean (7)
    Text to Self: When I had to evacuate my house because of the fires, we couldn’t take everything (8)
    Text to Text: When Jamal and Bibi were in a refugee camp, they saw thousands of tents made of cloth (9)
    Text to World: I remember on the news they did a story on a man that got lost when he was little, and when he was 20 he found his family (10)
    Text to Self: At the Gisborne Market, they have big tents full of lots of different things (11)
    As you can see, I found Text to Self much easier than the others. I really enjoyed this task and I hope we can do it again soon πŸ™‚
    I would like to find out why people are in the refugee camps for so long? Why can’t they afford many things?
    Bec

• Hi Bec
      Well done for leaving a comment that details some of the connections you made from viewing the slideshow on Afghanistan. Rather than giving the slide numbers have a look at the way Ruby set up her comment, it just means whoever is reading your comment doesn’t need to flick through the slideshow. You have however made some great connections. I’m glad that you have realised that most of your connections are text to self. As I said in my comment to Ruby, these do tend to be the easiest connections to make. When you are reading see if you are able to think of any text to text or text to world connections. I’m glad that you enjoyed this task, thinking about connections helps us to be a better reader as it encourages us to think below the surface.
      How are you going to go about finding the answers to your questions? They certainly make you wonder don’t they

• Hi Miss Hunichen,
        I would absolutely love to find out the answers to my questions! If i found out why, I think I would get a much better understanding of tasks we have done about refugee camps. I think I will ask my Mum and Dad. If they don’t give me much information, I will find some time to find it out myself.
        Bec

• Keep persisting Bec as I think you are right, finding our more information will give you a better understanding. You may not be able to get a clear answer but even just looking into the ‘why’ of it all will help πŸ™‚

3. Hi Miss Hunichen and anyone reading,
    I had enjoyed watching the Afghanistan slideshow on Refugee Camps, so I am happy to share some of my connections with you. My first one was text to self because the picture was of a poor man standing alone in a desert. I wrote that it reminded me of when my mum and I were at a shopping center, and it was really early in the morning so there were hardly any people there! My other connection was text to self as well. The image was about a man having to rebuild his home because the snow had made it collapse. This is extremely different to my bedroom at home! The ceiling above my bed doesn’t leak every time it rains, especially not when I’m sleeping! The funny thing was, I had 3 of the of each connections.
    From Ruby πŸ™‚

• Hi Ruby
      You have submitted a fantastic blog comment clearly detailing your connections. I like the way you have just chosen a few and explained them. You have really thought hard about each connection. Did you have any connections that weren’t text to self? These are generally the easiest connections to make. I would be really interested to hear of some of your other connections.

4. Hi Miss Hunichen,

I haven’t got any answers yet but i am still looking. My main question is WHY. This colud be a good segment in the N.P till looking.

Thanks from
    Kim

5. Hi Miss Hunichen,
    Thanks for reading my blog comment and replying to it!
    I did have some connections that were not text to self. Would you like to hear them? Here are a couple more:
    The third picture on the slideshow showed a house made of mud. The connection I made was text to world. The refugee camp looked like a giant sandpit, flooded with water, so it reminded me of small sand houses that little kids like to make. Of course, these mud houses are much bigger, but I feel really sorry for all those people who are forced to sleep in them.
    The ninth image showed thousands of people in the small area of a refugee camp. In the picture there were also lots of rows of tents. The connection I made was text to text. I said this because in Boy Overboard, we read a part that had the same information about the crowds in a camp.
    I hope you have enjoyed reading over my blog post, and I hope it has answered your questions.
    From Ruby πŸ™‚

• Fabulous Effort Ruby. You have been able to make some excellent connections and have explained each of them clearly. Well done πŸ™‚