SMART Learning Goals

At the beginning of the year we spoke about setting SMART learning goals. This meant that our goal had to be:

* Specific

* Measurable

* Achievable

* Results based

* Time bound

We based our goals around the Habits of Mind, You Can Do It and Smart Learning Behaviours. Many of us set goals based around Organisation and Persistence. Over the past few weeks we have set pictures of our Smart Learning goal as our desktop background on our netbooks. This has encouraged us to be a little bit more aware of what our goal is and how we are going about achieving it.

I’d like to hear about how you think you went. Don’t forget to include what your Smart Goal was and information about it. You should be able to lift this part straight from your Smart Learning Goal document. Then you need to reflect on how you think you have gone about achieving it. You need to be critically honest with yourself. If you don’t think you have achieved your goal say so and give some reasons why you think this might be the case. If you have achieved your goal how did you manage it?

12 thoughts on “SMART Learning Goals

1. Hi Miss Hunichen (and other readers)

My smart learning goal is Ask questions when you want some help or would like something repeated again. I think I’m going ok but I need to encourage myself more to ask questions and to not be afraid. I need to keep remembering that our classroom is a safe classroom and I won’t be judged. I need to keep reminding myself that I shouldn’t be afraid, somebody else might be thinking the same thing as me but I won’t say it because I think it’s silly or I’m afraid to say it and get laughed at but next term I won’t because our classroom is a safe classroom and I just need to keep reminding myself that. Next term I am going to try extra hard to try and achieve my Smart Learning Goal. I think if I just remember that our classroom is a safe classroom and that I shouldn’t be afraid I might just achieve it by half way through Term 2.
    Thanks from
    Kim.

2. Dear Miss Hunichen and anyone reading,
    I think having a Smart Learning Goal was a wonderful idea. Having posters up around the classroom, and on our netbook backgrounds really helped. My Smart Learning Goal was to try and take more care with my belongings. I believe I was close to achieving this goal because my toolbox lasted the whole term, and my pencils didn’t break. I did not reach my full goal because I never remembered to put my charger for my netbook back in it’s bag. Next term I am going to try to not do that, and work even harder to reach my new goal.
    From Ruby 🙂

• Hi Ruby
      I’m really pleased to see you reflect so honestly on your Smart Learning Goal. You have managed to identify that while you worked hard to achieve your goal there was still a particular item that needs your focussed attention next term. Setting a Smart Goal is only worthwhile if we continue to think about it, that’s why we had posters around the room and why I then made you set them as your netbook backgrounds. I believe that this helped you to think about them on a daily basis as we tended to use our netbooks most days.
      Do you think that this is a goal you need to continue to stick with or will you be working on a new Smart Goal?

3. Dear Miss Hunichen,
    My goal for term 1 was to keep work in my folders. I believe I did this pretty well because I kept most things in folders and they weren’t all over flowing. I only lost one thing and that was the immigration family member One Note. I archived this goal by at the end of the sessions I would put the things that I was using from locker back in folders. I will keep doing this for the rest of the year.
    From Jack R

• Hi Jack
      I think the goal that you chose is a particularly important one. Organisation is the key when it comes to great work habits. It’s great that you have realised that this has been a worthwhile goal to work on and I really hope you do continue to work on it for the rest of the year. Now that you have made a start on it, it should be second nature, something that you just do automatically without even thinking.
      Start thinking about your next Smart Learning Goal.

4. Hi Miss Hunichen,
    My smart learning goal was to ask questions more often. I do tend to day dream and then not know what to do. I had said that I wanted to achieve this by the end of term. I think I have partly done this. I think this because I am not as afraid to ask questions and I seem to not just be sitting there any more.
    I’m looking forward to seeing you again in term two.
    From Chloe

• Hi Chloe
      Your Smart learning goal is an important one as asking questions makes you a better learner. As I think I said to Jarred in his comment though it’s important to think about the question you are asking in your head first to work out whether you can actually already answer it or whether someone around you might be able to help. And questioning does not always mean asking the teacher, its really important to constantly question ourselves too. I look forward to watching you as you continue to develop yourself as an effective learner.

5. Hi Miss Hunichen and everyone else,
    I think having a Smart Learning Goal is a great idea! Having posters around our class helps me to remember what my Smart Learning Goal is. Mine is to keep my locker neat and tidy all the time. Last year that didn’t happen so I lost nearly every work sheet!! Bye!
    Ruby 🙂

6. Hi Miss Hunichen,
    I loved the idea of Smart Learning Goals because it helps us with our learning. My Smart Learning Goal was to ask more questions and be okay when talking in front of a large group of people. I have already achieved this in some way, and its really helping with my learning. I especially love how they are on the wall so we can remind ourselves everyday about our goals.
    Bec

7. Dear anyone who reads it,
    My Smart Learning Goal was to ask questions about what we are doing if I wasn’t sure what we were doing.
    I know I have acheived my goal by asking the right questions when I needed to.
    from Ethan 🙂

8. Hi Miss Hunichen (and other readers),

My Smart Learning Goal is Ask Questions when you want some help or would like something repeated again. I think i’m going ok but i need to encourage myself more to ask questions and to not be afraid. I need to keep remembering that our classroom is a safe classroom and that i won’t be judged. I need to keep reminding myself that i shouldn’t be afraid, Somebody else might be thinking the same thing as me but i won’t say because i think it’s silly of i am afraid to say it because i thought i would get laughed at. Next term i won’t because our classroom is a safe classroom and i need to keep remembering that. Next term i’m going to try extra hard to try and achieve my Smart Learning Goal.

Thanks From
    Kim 🙂

• Hi Kim
      Your comment on your Smart Learning Goal is very honest and shows me that you have reflected deeply on whether you have achieved your goal or not. You need to make sure that you read your blogs comments before you submit them and make sure that you are editing spelling and punctuation. You have missed a number of capital letters and full stops.