Table Master…. Take the Challenge

A few weeks ago you were introduced to the Table Master Challenge which requires you to complete 144 times tables within a given time limit. At the moment I have been extremely generous, and as such, you have been given ten minutes to complete the challenge. This will change next term.

I would like to know about your performance so far on this task. Cast your mind back to your first attempt… What was your time and score and how has it improved? Try to set yourself a SMART goal. See the post on Smart Learning Goals if you can’t remember what these are.

Capture

How did you feel? What was your time and score?
What improvement have you made?

Oh …and there is nothing stopping you from bringing a few of these home to practise!

17 thoughts on “Table Master…. Take the Challenge

1. Dear Miss Hunichen and anyone reading,
    My times tables have improved so much this term! I think it is because I have been doing table master almost every day. The first time I did it, the 17th of March, I got 65/144. The last time I did it for the term, I got 143/144! I also finished in five minutes and forty one seconds. I have improved by 78 more! I believed it has really helped me.
    From Ruby πŸ™‚

• Hi Ruby
      I’m glad to read that your times tables have improved so much this term. I really believe that practise makes perfect so I think that by continuing to practise your tables in this way you will continue to see an improvement. You have already made some great improvements in both your time and your score. Do you have a goal that you would like to achieve with table masters? It might be a time or a score, have a think about it.

2. Hi miss Hunichen
    I really enjoyed the table master last term, it really helped me getting my tables faster because there’s a timer which makes me want to do it as fast as I can. The first score I got was 144/144 with a time of 9.59mins. My latest score is 144/144 with a time of 4.41mins which is a big difference! I get better every time which makes me proud of my self and I want to do it again and again to have that feeling in me.
    From Ashton πŸ™‚

3. Dear Miss Hunichen
    I thought that table masters was quite hard and I had trouble. I think I am faster at tables and I can work out most tables in my head. I still struggle with my 7’s and my 8’s, but I am going to start working on them. On the first couple we did it took 10 minutes and on the last couple I got 9 and 8 minutes. I got 128 right.
    from Logan!

• Hi Logan
      Table master can be very tricky, it is very challenging to complete so many times tables in a given amount of time. With anything though the more you do something the easier it gets. Tables are something that need to be practised on a daily basis. If you are finding that you are still having trouble with particular tables then these are the ones that you need to focus your attention on. It’s great to read that you have already identified which tables are giving you trouble, there are some excellent times table resources on Miss Johns blog that you may find useful: http://msjohn.global2.vic.edu.au/maths-resources/
      Let me know how you go!

4. Hello again Miss Hunichen,
    I think table master is a very good maths tool for students or anyone to learn and practise their tables. I enjoyed doing it and I think I know my tables a lot better now. on my first go my score was in the seventies. Now my high score is one hundred and thirty nine. I am happy with my improvement an am glad you gave them to us.
    From Chloe:)

• Hi Chloe
      I’m glad that you found the table master challenge a good learning tool. I believe that like anything practise is important when it comes to improving. It’s great to hear that your score is improving, I’m sure that with hard work and continual practise your score will continue to improve. Once you have worked on achieving a good score you will then be able to focus on speed. It’s really important to know your tables off by heart as they are integral to lots of maths problem solving. Do you think that there are any particular tables that are weaknesses for you? You may need to look back over your sheets and determine whether you are consistently getting the same ones wrong?

5. Dear Miss Hunichion
    I did the table master sheet again and I did worse than what I usually do. I got the time of 5:26 and a score of 141/144. I believe I did worse than usual because I haven’t done table master for some time now. I looked through my math book at my times and scores for table master and my time was the 4th worst and score was 2nd worst. I’m going to try again later and will improve

From Jarred

• Hi Jarred
      It’s fabulous to see that you have spent time working on all of the blog comments that were set for homework. You are right in your assumption that because you are out of practise you will do worse. This is why it’s extremely important to practise tables as often as possible. They say that practise makes perfect and I think that’s true for many things not just times tables. You’re never going to get better at things if we don’t work at them. I’d be interested to hear about what your best time and score was and how these both changed throughout the term? Do you believe there is a particular time table that is slowing you down? Or a reason that you think is making you slower?

6. Hi Miss Hunichen you haven’t replied to my comment yet so just in case you didn’t get it, here it is again;

Hi miss Hunichen
    I really enjoyed the table master last term, it really helped me getting my tables faster because there’s a timer which makes me want to do it as fast as I can. The first score I got was 144/144 with a time of 9.59mins. My latest score is 144/144 with a time of 4.41mins which is a big difference! I get better every time which makes me proud of myself and I want to do it again and again to have that feeling in me.

From Ashton πŸ™‚

• Hi Ashton
      I’m pleased to see you on the blog and I’m pleased to see you following up on responses to your comment. I spent a little bit of time yesterday replying to comments, yours must have been a little bit further down.
      It’s been fabulous to read that everyone seems to be enjoying table master and that they think it has helped them make improvements with learning their tables. You have made a huge improvement with your times and its fabulous to see that you have excellent accuracy. You should be extremely proud of your efforts. Do you have a goal in mind for your table masters?

7. Dear Miss Hunichen,
    I believe that I did very good in table master. All of my scores were in 140 zone. I think a that the reason of my scores were that I’m more advanced with times tables. My average time was about 5 mins. My quickest time was 4 mins 2 secs. My first time was 7 mins 28 secs. My last time I had was 4 mins and 19 secs. Hopefully I improve more.
    Jack R

8. Dear Miss Hunichen,
    I think that table masters is okay, I have been going alright in it my highest is 66 in 10 minutes i am hoping to get at least 70 in about 7 minutes. I think that going for 8 minutes is better than 10 because it helps us by achieving our best and doing the tables faster.
    bye from sally πŸ™‚

9. Hi Miss Hunichen (and other readers),

Table Master, a sheet on how to learn your times tables in only 10 minutes. 4 columns filled with 24 questions of mixed times tables. Over these past 2 weeks and 3 days i have been getting better and faster at my tables. i have been getting 144/144 in only 5:52 which is my quickest time. Table Master is a quicker way to learn your times tables instead of wasting a whole week when you can pend 10 minutes practicing 4 columns of 24 mixed times table questions. Can you take the challenge?
    Thanks from
    Kim πŸ™‚

10. Hi Miss Hunichen,
    I am very proud of myself because of my improvements in table master. The first day I got a total score of 94/144, with the time of 10 mins. My best score is 144/144, with the time of 6:09 mins. This has helped me a lot to remember my times tables and I hope it has helped others too. It is a fun and challenging way to learn your times tables.
    Bec

11. Hi Miss Hunichen and everyone else,
    Table Master has helped me alot! When we first started Table Master my score was very low out of 144. But now my highest score is 134!! Which is a great improvement. Table Master I think is a great idea and it helps people with their times tables. Bye!!
    -Ruby :)>

12. Dear anyone who reads it,
    My first score on table master was 83/144 and I used all of the 10 minutes, and did not have enough time to answer all the questions.
    To change this I used all my concentration to finish all the questions in a lower amount of time and get a score of 144/144 everyday.
    from Ethan πŸ™‚