As you are now aware, over the next few weeks you will be designing your own passive energy houses. Before doing this though you are going to need to do some research to find out what all of this is even about. The following websites will give you a place to start:
http://shrinkthatfootprint.com/7-stunning-passive-houses (Awesome pictures!)
http://kidsresearchexpress-2.blogspot.com.au/2008/09/passive-solar-heating.html ( kid language for solar heating)
http://www.passivehouseplans.ie/what-is-a-passive-house (dot points and short paragraphs to explain)
http://www.yourhome.gov.au/passive-design (easy info)
Share the following information with your mums and dads
Hi Mums and Dads,
So, by now I hope you have heard all about our Passive Energy Houses and have seen the design briefs. All of the students are very, very excited about starting the Passive Energy House project.
Here is the outline of the project.
- Students will work in groups to research, design, plan, and construct a house that uses the 4 elements of passive energy design
- They are restricted with the size of the house (so we don’t end up with any Ben Hur houses). Length=500mm max, width=400mm max, roof space 3000mm squared,
- The roof must lift off or be hinged,
- Uses solar energy to power a globe,
- Has a water collection and storage system.
Students will be provided with solar panels, globes and wiring, cutting boards, stanley knives (used under supervision) and things like sticky tape, masking tape and staples.
ALL OTHER MATERIALS MUST BE SUPPLIED BY THE STUDENTS.
Don’t be surprised if they come home asking for foil and foam!