Passive Energy Houses

Hey Guys,

As you are now aware, over the next few weeks you will be designing your own passive energy houses. Before doing this though you are going to need to do some research to find out what all of this is even about. The following websites will give you a place to start:

http://shrinkthatfootprint.com/7-stunning-passive-houses (Awesome pictures!)

http://kidsresearchexpress-2.blogspot.com.au/2008/09/passive-solar-heating.html ( kid language for solar heating)

http://www.passivehouseplans.ie/what-is-a-passive-house (dot points and short paragraphs to explain)

http://www.yourhome.gov.au/passive-design (easy info)

Share the following information with your mums and dads

Hi Mums and Dads,

So, by now I hope you have heard all about our Passive Energy Houses and have seen the design briefs. All of the students are very, very excited about starting the Passive Energy House project.

Here is the outline of the project.

• Students will work in groups to research, design, plan, and construct a house that uses the 4 elements of passive energy design
  • They are restricted with the size of the house (so we don’t end up with any Ben Hur houses). Length=500mm max, width=400mm max, roof space 3000mm squared,
  • The roof must lift off or be hinged,
  • Uses solar energy to power a globe,
  • Has a water collection and storage system.

Students will be provided with solar panels, globes and wiring, cutting boards, stanley knives (used under supervision) and things like sticky tape, masking tape and staples.

ALL OTHER MATERIALS MUST BE SUPPLIED BY THE STUDENTS.

Don’t be surprised if they come home asking for foil and foam!

What do YOU (kids and parents) think of our next project?! Do you have any questions?

What does the term Passive Energy mean?

Did you discover any other interesting information (either from your parents or from websites)?

5 thoughts on “Passive Energy Houses

1. Dear anyone who reads it,
    I am very excited about the passive energy houses and I can’t wait to start doing it, but unfortunatly I am sick right now so I can’t start until tomorrow.
    It’s going to be like last year how the grade 4’s made bridges and light houses out of newspaper.
    From Ethan πŸ™‚

• Hi Ethan
      I’m glad that you are looking forward to the project on Passive Energy Houses. I hope that even though you have been absent and unwell that you have managed to do a little bit of research about Passive Energy. When you come back to school I’ll find some time to sit down with you and help you with a couple of things. We have started our own blogs so you’ll have a little bit to catch up on but don’t worry there will be plenty of people to help you. I hope that you are also resting lots and that you feel better soon. We are missing having you at school and hope that we see you soon.

2. Hi everyone,
    I think this sounds like a fantastic project and I hope you’re going to let the parents come and see your houses – or maybe some of them will be big enough to be a holiday house somewhere?!
    Have fun …

3. Hi Miss Hunichen
    I think the passive energy project is really fun and a great project to be working on.
    Passive Energy means you use a natural/solar/wind energy to achieve a goal such as: heating water, creating electricity or/and warming houses. I discovered that compost can heat water when it’s biodegrading (braking down or rotting). Passive means allowing what happens around you with out reacting.
    I also can’t wait to start building our passive energy design house.

From Ashton πŸ™‚

• Hi Ashton
      You really are working hard with your blog comments. They are becoming much more regular and are well detailed. Keep up the fantastic work. Hopefully you will be able to collect comments on your own blog. I’m hoping that we will be able to start designing and building our Passive Energy Houses this week. I’m really looking forward to seeing what everyone has come up with. I think that all of the groups are doing a great job of working together, I hope it continues throughout the building process.