Our Class Novel – Wonder

This is our class book for the term. August (Auggie) Pullman was born with a facial deformity that prevented him from going to a mainstream school—until now. He’s about to start 5th grade at Beecher Prep, and if you’ve ever been the new kid then you know how hard that can be. The thing is Auggie’s just an ordinary kid, with an extraordinary face. But can he convince his new classmates that he’s just like them, despite appearances?

The following link is a short trailer: Wonder by R. J. Palacio

If you click on this link you will be able to listen “How I came to Life”: R.J. Palacio reads a chapter from Wonder

What do you think of the story so far?

7 thoughts on “Our Class Novel – Wonder

1. Hi Miss Hunichen and other readers,
    I love the class novel! I’ve tell my mum and dad about it everyday and I think they like it too. I’m really interested to what he may look like. But what I think what he looks like is maybe his mouth is on his forehead or one of his eyes is on his cheek.
    Bye
    -Ruby W

2. To anyone who reads it,
    I saw the trailer and thought that it really fits in with the book so far, and I thought it was great.
    I think the book is good so far and also think its a bit early to tell if its a good book or not.
    From Ethan 🙂

3. Dear Miss Hunichen,
    I am glad we started reading Wonder, and I can tell already that it is a great book! It must be frustrating when everyone stares at you all the time. I tried to listen to the videos on the links but they took for ever to load and I didn’t get to watch it. Hopefully I didn’t miss anything that important!
    August is a really great character, but he is also very self conscious. He doesn’t like the way he looks, and he gets upset a lot. Via is a good sister to August, and she is also caring. I say this because in the story, she let August lie on her lap while they slept in the back of the car. Their Mum is called Isabel, and she is very good at making people forgive her. I say this because she owns up straight away and apologizes when ever she does something wrong. Nate is August’s Dad. Dad loves to tell jokes and make everyone laugh, and if anyone is in a bad mood, he cheers them up! Mostly the family gets on well, but sometimes they fight and argue with each other.
    At August’s school, we have met two characters already. One is Mr Tushman, and I agree with August’s Dad, that is a funny name! He is nice, friendly and not old but not young either. He wasn’t like what I pictured when Miss Hunichen read out the name, but once we had read a little bit more, I started visualizing his appearance. In my brain he had brown curly hair, and big smile, nice white teeth, a suit and tie and a desk stacked with office papers and old coffee cups.
    I can’t wait to read more of the story!
    From Ruby

4. Dear Miss. Hunichen
    I am enjoying the book so far. I like it because it leaves you wondering about what he looks like and what he feels.
    I feel sad that he thinks he can’t go to school without getting picked on. The reason he believes he might get picked on is because he is different. Hopefully when he gets to school people will think he is a nice person and judge him by how nice and friendly he is and not how he looks.
    I think he will be worrying about nothing, but he may still think people pick on him when
    he is not there.
    I’m looking forward to reading more of the book to find out if my predictions were right.
    I hope so!
    From Logan.

5. Hi Miss H, it’s Rebecca from grade 5A!
    Our teacher asked us to leave a comment on a grade 5 class blog. So I decided to comment on your blog. I really think the book “Wonder” is a great book because it tells you how every person matters and that in some point of your life you might meet someone like August. I also think that August would be a really great friend and he is really nice.
    Also your blog looks really cool because it feels a bit spooky…….
    Beccy:) (5A)