Tricky Triplets

Hi Everyone,

We’ve been looking at fractions, decimals and percentages in class lately- as you all know. Some people are still having trouble with recognizing equivalent fractions and understanding how to simplify fractions. That’s totally fine- it’s a pretty tricky thing to do! These areas of maths make your brain work really hard, since you have to remember things about fractions and things about times tables and division and lowest common denominators… phew!

So, here’s some practise that we can do. Make sure you also check out the games that appear on the left hand side when you open the first site. The number line puzzle picture is particularly important.

triplets

If you need help remembering the rules for equivalent fractions, try this website for help:

equivalent fractions

If you want a visual reminder of how we work out equivalent fractions, the fraction wall we looked at is here:

fraction wall

After you have played a few times, leave me a 10/10 comment about what you thought of these resources. Make sure you give reasons that explain your opinions. 

6 thoughts on “Tricky Triplets

1. Hi Miss Hunichen,
    I was playing the tricky triplets game the other day, and I think it is an awesome way to learn equivalent fractions! It started out easy but then it got harder! I got up to level 7, but then I got it wrong three times in a row so had to go back to level 1.
    The first fraction wall game was really fun, but the first time I played it I found it tricky. Then I read the rules again and it helped me understand. I thought it was helpful that there were rules, and I liked how it colour coded the fractions!
    I thought the second game, Fraction Fiddles, quite hard to understand as well. Even though I read the instructions, I found it very difficult. But it was a good idea to have the number line there, because with out it I would have been completely lost!
    The next game was Equivalent Fractions, and this was quite helpful when I forgot why equivalent fractions were equivalent. I was a bit disappointed when I found that there wasn’t a game, and the flashing colours that were up the top were distracting. I loved the pictures that went with the sum!
    The last website was good, I found the fraction wall helpful but not when I scrolled the mouse over it! It kept coming up with a line, which was helpful and annoying. I liked how underneath it there was examples so you could figure out how to do them yourself.
    Bye, from Ruby L 🙂

• Hi Ruby
      It’s so great to see that you are working so hard at school. I’m so very proud of you and the effort that you put in each and every day (even when I’m not at school!). You should be very pleased with yourself, I know you are going to do very well when you get to high school because you are so organised and dedicated.
      Thank you for your lengthy blog comment about the fraction games. I have spent a little bit of time on each of them myself and agree with most of your comments. I’ve had a quick look at fraction fiddle and it is a good game to help you understand which fractions add up to make 1. I agree that the number line on the side is quite a handy tool. If you like we can have a look at this one when I’m back at school tomorrow.
      The Maths is Fun website is a very helpful resource. It is a shame that they don’t have games however they do have questions so that you can practise the skill you have just learnt. I often use this site as I find it explains things very clearly and in simple terms as well as using pictures to aid in understanding.
      The first fraction wall game is great to help you understand equivalent fractions and will be something that I may use in class over the next few days just to make sure that everyone is using it correctly.The second fraction wall is just a useful tool to see which fractions are the same (equivalent). If you use the line carefully it will show you which fractions are the same value for example 1/2 is the same as 3/6, 4/8 and 5/10.
      I can’t wait to come back to school to see how clever you all are when it comes to fractions!!

2. Hi Miss Hunichen,
    I hope you’re feeling better :). I played the Tricky Triplets game yesterday, and the same thing happened to me. I got up to about level eight and it reset it. I was getting frustrated, but I didn’t give up and I got back up to level 6. I thought it was a really fun game, but also challenging. The next game was hard to understand but I agree with Ruby. I really like how they colour coded it. The game Fraction Fiddle was very confusing. I didn’t understand what I was doing. I had to play it a couple of times to understand it. I finally got the hang of it, and I really enjoyed it. The last website was really helpful and I am able to understand fractions better now, just from reading it. It will definitely help with future fraction activities.
    Bec

3. Hi Miss Hunichen,
    I found a cool car game using fractions on the triplets page. You had to add or subtract a fraction from a fraction as your car raced around the track. from Daniel

4. Hi Miss Hunichen
    I was playing tricky triplets and I thought it was a bit easy at the start, but as the levels got on it got harder and harder with even more fractions.
    I got up to level 10 until making a mistake and I thought it was challenging enough then. I think it is a good game for when you need help to understand fractions that are equivalent. I give this game an 8/10.

I think the fraction wall game was a fun game, it also helped fraction skills and converting equivalent fractions like making 5/10 into 2/4 or 1/2.
    I played this game with my brother and I also taught him all about fractions and converting fractions. It turns out I taught him really good because he beat me 2 out of 3 games! It is good learning and good fun. I rate this game 9/10.

Fraction Fiddles game was a bit confusing at the start because I had know idea what to do but then I got how the game worked. I didn’t find it challenging because it was the same thing over and over again.
    It was really easy because it was just making two fractions that are both half to make one like 2/4 and 6/12. It was a bit to easy so I give it a 6/10.

The last two I didn’t find useful at all because it just said what an equivalent fraction was and it was not fun at all, just really boring. It gave a video example but it’s not that good, I don’t think this is useful so I give this a 3/10.

From Ashton 🙂

5. Hi Miss Hunichen,
    Guess what! Today I wrote 4 posts on my blog! (The Scratch It post isn’t included!). I have saved most of them as a draft, because if I post all of them, my visitors are most likely only going to read the first one. I have even updated my Leg 2 page, wrote a post on Pat farmer, done one about my PowerPoint Presentation on Uluru and a post on the dress up day today.
    Your welcome to visit my blog and leave a comment!
    Bye, from Ruby L 🙂